Sunday, November 23, 2008

Continuing on...

Alrighty, this is as good a time as any to continue onward with re-printing my notes here. Incidentally, I find myself wondering why I didn't type them all to begin with...this would be so much faster if I could copy and paste. Oh well. Also, I went back onto the previous notes and made some small corrections, I had mistyped a few things (for instance, someone pointed out that I mistakenly said "mado" meant "square" when I meant to type "window". Anyway, here we go.

Unit 2, Lesson 8

Otokonohito wa torakku no naka ni imasu - The man is in the truck.
Banana wa kago no naka ni arimasu - The banana(s) are in the basket.
Hitobito wa booto no naka ni imasu - The people are in the boat (Hitobito = People. There's also a word, "meimeino" that means "each person")
Hitobito wa booto no naka ni imasen - The people are not in the boat.

Otokonoko wa saku ni suwatte ite, otokonohito wa jitensha ni suwatte imasu - The boy is sitting on a fence, the man is sitting on a bicycle. (Quick note, "saku" also works for "railing" or "a paling". In the case of the example in this lesson, they are referring to a fence.)
Otokonoko wa booshi o kabutte imasu - The boy is wearing a hat on his head.
Kodomo tachi wa teeburu no ui ni imasu - The children are on the table.
Booru wa otokonoko no ue ni arimasu - The ball is on the boy. (as noted from a comment in my first blog back in January, this is not a real sentence; there is no verb in the sentence, so it's incomplete for now)

Otokonoko wa jitensha ni notte imasu - The boy is riding a bicycle
Otokonoko wa jitensha no yoko ni imasu - The boy is beside (or on the side of) a bicycle
Otokonohito wa uma ni notte imasu - The man is riding a horse
Otokonohito wa uma no yoko ni imasu - The man is beside (or on the side of) a horse

Roba wa otokonohito no shita ni imasu - The donkey is under the man
Roba wa otokonohito no shita ni imasen - The donkey is not under the man
Kyandii wa tana no shita ni arimasu - The candy is under the shelf (Kyandii = Candy, tana = shelf)
Kyandii wa otokonohito no te no naka ni arimasu - The candy is in the man's hand (te = hand)

Kono otokonoko wa ki no ushiro ni imasu - This boy is in the back of a tree (behind a tree) (ki = tree, ushiro means "the back" or "the rear")
Kono otokonoko wa ki no mae ni imasu - This boy is in front of a tree
Kono otokonohito wa kuruma no ushiro ni imasu - This man is at the rear of a car
Kono otokonohito wa kuruma no mae ni imasu - This man is at the front of a car

Futatsu no booru wa tonari awase ni arimasu - The two bowls are next to each other. (tonari awase = literally "live next door to each other". In this case, just next to each other. Booru is used in this sentence for "bowl" instead of "ball")
Kono kappu wa sara no ue ni arimasu - This cup is on the plate.
Go wa ichi to zero no aida ni arimasu - The five is between a one and a zero. (Aida is a hard word to place, and I'm honestly still not 100% that I got this answer right, but it fits with the pictures. "Between" is the best I could do, but I think it's right.)
Chuukurai no ookisa no booru wa ookina booru to chiisana booru no aida ni arimasu - The medium size bowl is between a large bowl and a small bowl. (Lots of notes...Chuukurai no = Medium, ookisa = size, ookina = ookii = large, and chiisana = chiisai = little/small)

Otokonohito wa futari no onnanohito no yoko ni imasu - The man is to the side of two women.
Otokonohito wa futari no onnanohito no aida ni imasu - The man is between two women (this one is what convinced me that "aida" meant "between" above, though the next entry did make me wonder if it means "in the middle". It's probably both.)
Inu wa futari no aida ni imasu - The dog is in the middle of two people
Inu wa futari no yoko ni imasu - The dog is to the side of two people (futari is a counter, but specifically can mean "two people")

Megane o kakete iru futari - Two people are wearing glasses
Megane o kakete inai futari - Two people are not wearing glasses
Boo o motte iru otokonoko - The boy is holding a stick
Boo o motte inai otokonoko - The boy is not holding a stick (Note time again, this is another one that Rosetta Stone lists weird. In Romaji it says "Boo", in Hiragana it says "Bou" which can confuse things if you're trying to look up the word. I specifically remember spending about 10 minutes on these two pictures trying to figure it out until I finally learned how to read the Hiragana, then everything got easier)

Hikooki wa chijoo ni arimasu - The plane is on the ground (yet ANOTHER one, "chijoo" in Hiragana is "chijou" meaning "on the ground")
Hikooki wa kuuchuu ni arimasu - The plane is in the air
Sakana wa daibaa no mawari ni imasu - The fish are surrounding the diver (daibaa = diver, mawari = "surroundings" among other things)
Isu wa teeburu no mawari ni arimasu - The chairs are surrounding the table.

Otokonohito wa jitensha no ushiro ni imasu - The man is at the rear of a bicycle
Otokonohito wa jitensha no yoko ni imasu - The man is to the side of a bicycle
Jitensha wa kuruma no yoko ni arimasu - The bicycle is to the side of a car
Jitensha wa kuruma no ushiro ni imasu - The bicycle is at the rear of a car

Notes: Tough lesson, a lot of annoying words here. The biggest issue I had with this lesson originally is that there are some words I just could not find in any dictionary, some of them because they did not use the same spellings as the hiragana characters. "Aida" is still a word I'm not sure about, since the picture implies that the correct term is "middle" or "between", but one of the exact definitions of the word is "Space" or "Interval". There is also a word, "aidawotoru", that means "take the middle (between the two)" which led me to believe that the meaning I have above was correct. If I'm wrong, I'll come back and edit this part, so keep that in mind for later, readers!!!

Unit 2, Lesson 9

Me - Eye
Hana - Nose
Kuchi - Mouth
Kao - Face

Ashi - Foot/Feet
Mimi - Ear
Otokonohito ga uma no mimi o sawatte imasu - The man is touching the horse's ear
Zoo no ashi - Elephant Feet (I never noticed before, but this is another weird word, in hiragana it's "Zou" instead of "Zoo")

Onnanohito no atama - Woman's head
Te - Hand
Otokonohito no atama - Man's head
Te to ashi - Hands and feet

Mittsu no te - 3 hands
Yottsu no te - 4 hands
Yonhon no ude - 4 arms (ude = arms)
Sambon no ude - 3 arms

(Edit: May have made a mistake here, will correct later...have to re-read my notes)
Otokonohito no te wa hiza ni notte imasu - The man's hand is on his knee
Otokonohito wa te de atama o sasaete imasu - The man's hands are supporting his head (sasaete = support/prop)
Otokonohito no ryoote wa teeburu no ue ni notte imasu - The man has both hands on the table (Another word, ryoote is "ryoute" in hiragana)
Otokonohito wa katate ni kao o nosete, moo ippoo no te o hiji ni atete imasu - The man is holding his face with one hand, and his elbow with one hand (Katate = one hand, kao = face, ippoo (ippou in hiragana) = one side, hiji = elbow.)

Onnanohito no ude wa hiza ni notte imasu - The mans arms are on his knees
Otokonohito no te wa atama ni notte imasu - The mans hand is on his head
Wakai otokonohito no hiji wa teeburu ni notte imasu - The young mans elbow(s) is/are on the table
Otokonohito no te wa teeburu ni notte imasu - The mans hands are on the table

Me to hana - Eye(s) and nose
Hana to kuchi - Nose and mouth
Kao - Face
Mimi - Ear

(EDIT: Ok, I finally got some help with these next sections. Here's the rundown: The words I had trouble with in this section and the next section (which isn't here yet) are conjugations of verbs; they won't show up in any dictionary as a result. My friend gave me this page to help with that:

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa031101a.htm

So, "atete" is the command form of "ateru", meaning to hit/to touch to. Haitte is the command form of Hairu, meaning to enter/go inside. Sawatte, below, is indeed "Sawaru", so I'd gotten those right.)
Kodomo wa koppu o kuchi ni atete imasu - The child is holding a cup to their face.
Onnanohito wa koppu o kuchi ni atete imasu - The woman is holding a cup to her face.
Kono wakai otokonohito no kuchi niwa tabemono ga haitte imasu - There is food in this young man's mouth
Kono wakai otokonohito no kuchi niwa tabemono ga haitte imasen - There is not food in this young man's mouth

(Note, for these next four, I'm still (even lessons later) having a lot of trouble pinpointing the word "sawatte" down. It's not in any dictionary, and the closest thing I can find is "sawaru" which means "touch" or "feel". As a result, these four translations may be completely wrong! That said, they are also note complete sentences either way. EDIT: I got these right ;))
Hana o sawatte imasu - Touch the nose
Kuchi o sawatte imasu - Touch the mouth
Me o sawatte imasu - Touch the eye
Ago o sawatte imasu - Touch the chin (ago = Chin)

Onnanohito wa kami o burashi de tokashite imasu - The woman is coming her hair with a brush (burashi = Brush, tokashite = to comb one's hair)
Onnanohito wa onnanoko no kami o burashi de tokashite imasu - The woman is combing the girls hair with a brush
Onnanohito wa kami o kushi de tokashite imasu - The woman is combing her hair with a comb (kushi = comb)
Onnanohito wa onnanoko no kami o kushi de tokashite imasu - The woman is combing the girl's hair with a comb

Notes: As you'll notice above, this lesson gave (and gives) me quite a bit of trouble. I can memorize the words and repeat them perfectly, but the problem is I still haven't quite figured out what the pictures mean. The general idea is clear on them (a girl/woman with a cup to their lips, a guy crouching eating food, a guy standing and NOT eating food), but figuring out their exactly proper meanings is difficult for me. I'll update these at some point once I get some help, but there are some things I really wish I could have someone constantly at my disposal for. That said, I try not to impose on my friends who do speak Japanese too much, so it'll take a bit.

The link I posted above is going to be very important moving on, conjugation on verbs really confused me, but the link my friend gave me helped out a lot. For instance, in the next section, new forms of verbs like this wonderful phrase:

Uma wa tobikoemashita - The horse jumped over

It took some work right at first, since I knew "tobikoeru" from earlier lessons (which would've made it "jumping over"), and the shift into past-tense threw me off. Verb conjugations can appear to be extremely confusing, but are actually quite simple in practice once you get the hang of them. That said, in addition to the link above, I figure it's finally time to post this link:

http://www.dicts.info/2/english-japanese_romaji.php?e=mc2

Remember, some of the words in Rosetta Stone do not come up in this dictionary, since they are spelled differently in hiragana than it shows them spelled in Romaji. I actually use an electronic dictionary that goes more in-depth than this site, but it's a good substitute if any of you need it. The next post will cover lessons 10 and 11, finishing off Unit 2, and Lesson 10 starts immediately with conjugated verbs like the one I posted above, so study up on that first link now. It's going to be very helpful in a moment.

4 comments:

LLawliet said...

Hi! I just want you to know that i really appreciate what you are doing and i hope that you will help guide me through my japanese journey!
Arigato!

Khiras said...

For those who were reading along and didn't notice, I made some pretty big edits on the stuff I was still confused about today. There are also 2 new links in there that will be helpful (the second one is an ok dictionary page), the last 2 lessons are "fun" ;)

Vijuaru Kei said...

Thank you for your post and notes. These are really helpful to me, I am going thru the program much faster with your help.
Thanks!!

dustysmurf said...

Tremendous help that you have done some meanings in English, although I think the Rosetta Stone approach with immersion with you trying to figure stuff out and make sense and meaning from the pictures this rather frustrating. I'm doing it in conjunction with a pimsleur audio course which is much more traditional, in the sense that it explains the meaning of the words and then the pronunciation. Finding the number of repeat listings I need to be able to think the word is extensive, maybe it's just my age... If my brain was young may be it would be easier although I about six or eight weeks and and only on unit 10 of the pimsleur course.
And still on unit one of Rosetta Stone although I've only been using it for two or three weeks-finding the time for two or three hours study per day and perfecting pronunciation and memorisation before moving on to new words seems to be doing the trick.
Thanks for your efforts